Monday, 17 March 2014

Walking Though Cambridge on a Sunday Afernoon

Now that the sun is lingering a bit longer every day, we three Brutons have started going on walks in the afternoon. Sundays are an especially wonderful day for walks, we think. So yesterday, we loaded Little Brute up in his buggy, grabbed the camera and headed out.

Usually we don't have a destination in mind. We just---walk. This time, we ended up in the centre of the city and going through Pembroke, then King's College.

Pembroke is always a calm place for us. I think that's part of why it was Derek's first choice of college. There's nothing quite as lovely as the library when the light is hitting it in the evening.

my boys in Pembroke!


One of the most photographed "icons" in Cambridge is the Corpus Clock. I have a disgust/love relationship with this very odd clock--I love the gold, shininess of it, but the Chronophage on the top (the "eater of time" as the creator says) is quite hideous. It's a dragon-like locust that I find--well, creepy. But I love to stand and watch the blue light go around, and around for every second that ticks by. The idea of an "eater of time" is quite thought provoking--every second that ticks by is a one you can never get back. In thinking about our time here in Cambridge (which is going so fast!) I try to remember to take advantage of every moment--to see or do something every day that I can only see/do in Cambridge. So far--so good. :)

We stopped and admired the clock yesterday, but especially the incredible reflection in the glass that protects it and the shiny gold of the actual clock. It's positioned right across King's Parade from King's College, and the Chapel was reflected quite beautifully on the clock. I love the pictures Derek took of it.

I don't think Derek or I will ever get tired of going into colleges when others can't. Derek's status as a student allows us in places many are not welcome and at times were tourists are told "stay out." Yesterday, with our camera around his neck and our buggy in front of us, I know we looked like Sunday tourists. When we walked up to King's College, the porter moved to intercept us but then..BAM...out came Derek's student card, he gave us a smile, and we went right on in--dozens of people snapping pictures behind us, trying to get a glimpse of the front courtyard. Yeah....power trip for sure.
This view is one I will DEFINITELY miss. The screen of King's College on King's Parade. Just stunning. 

We took our time walking through King's, which Henry loved. The flagstones they use on the footpaths a re nice and big and smooth, something his little feet and knees appreciate. I love holding his hand as we walk. He grips my finger so tightly and trusts me to keep him from falling. It's slow going, but I like that. It helps me to slow down and appreciate the beauty that I live in. I mean really--the fact that King's College is just a few minutes away on foot is amazing. I walk beneath the grandeur of one of the most recognized Anglican buildings in the world. As we were walking, we listened to the choir warm up before Evensong--the organ's voice drifting across the courtyard as we strolled along. You can't beat that. It's something I will miss (again) when we move back to the states.


Henry doesn't appreciate these signs. 

Cool cobblestones--but hard for new "walkers" to navigate. 

We went out the back gates of King's then headed along the Backs towards home. It's a lovely walk, quiet. Henry was perfectly content to snuggle up in his buggy, so we took the long way home, through some green space not far from the center of town. Walking through the water meadows is like taking a step out of the city and in to the country--one of the greatest things about Cambridge.

1 comment:

  1. The Corpus Clock! So cool! And I miss those cobblestone pathways. Actually, I miss a lot about Cambridge. Props to Henry for keeping vertical on those tiny stones.

    ReplyDelete