Its on the western side of the Garden, not far from the entrance. The branches extend all the way to the ground, and Henry loves scampering around the bottom and collecting the pine cones. He also loves to pick up the needles and dirt and bring them to me. I'll sit on the ground and he'll bring me handfuls of dirt and dried foliage over and over again. He's very giving that way.
We like to sit beneath the tree and talk, and I love to tell him about California where Grandpa Shaw lived. I tell him all about Grandpa's ranch--the horses, the cows, the goats. Riding on the tractor with Grandpa and helping Grandma clean the barn. I tell him about the special moments I had with Grandma and Grandpa when I went on the wagon trains with them, about the time I broke my arm, and about playing in the yard with my siblings.
This week, we went and played under the tree a few times, and I told him everything I could think of about Grandpa. It was hard, being gone when he passed away a few weeks ago. I feel incredibly blessed to have been able to Skype with him a few days before he died, and even more grateful that he was able to meet Henry last June when we went to Scotty's graduation.
In a lot of ways, the great Sierra Redwood tree reminds me of Grandpa. Tall, strong, and firm. Unyielding in a lot of ways. The foliage is quite bristly, which reminded me of Grandpa's mustache. But the amazing thing we've discovered, is that the tree has a soft side. When you lean against it, putting your cheek against the bark, it feels just a little bit soft. Most importantly, the tree makes you feel like someone is watching out for you.
I always knew that Grandpa was there for me. Through thick, thin, and in between, he was there supporting us. Not a birthday or a Christmas went by without he and Grandma sending us a card. He made it to my plays, my graduation, a few of my concerts when he was in town. For a grandfather who lived so far away, he sure made it to a lot.
The thing Grandpa valued the most, was his family and friends. I know he didn't always show it in the way most people do, but I know that we were number one in his life.
He was strong man, who overcame so much. I'm so lucky to call him Grandpa.
No comments:
Post a Comment