Stonehenge is just one of those places you have to see at least once in your life. Honestly, I think it is everything you think it will be, plus.
We arrived at lunch time, so Henry insisted we sit down and eat our lunch. He did a pretty good job at first, but then he noticed all the sticks and rocks on the ground and that was the end of that. Particularly the sticks near the Stone Age huts they have built near the Visitors' Centre. Those sticks were quite special, because he was able to take them inside the huts! He and Daddy tried to take a little nap, but Henry was way too excited to sit down for very long. Oh--and of course he had his audio guide again. He loves those.
We found our new house, though! Here it is, in all its glory. Henry and Derek both agreed we could build something like it in Utah. :)
After we explored the Visitors' Centre, Tom and Cindy took the shuttle and Derek, Henry, and I walked the mile and a half up to the actual thing--the real Stonehenge! It was a glorious day--perfect, honestly--a lot better than the last time I was at Stonehenge (cold, pouring rain, ech). We sat on the grass/bench right up next to it and just enjoyed the scenery. Henry fed everyone dried apricots, while we rested for a bit. Couldn't ask for a better view, really.
I think the thing that is amazing about Stonehenge is that it is a tangible display of what humans can really do, even with limited tools. Despite the fact that it was built thousands of years ago, it is a beautiful feet of human engineering. Seriously: trekking across the countryside with those huge stones--even if they did take them on the water--is incredible. I truly admire what humans can do.


No comments:
Post a Comment