When we got to Westminster, we came outside and Grandpa couldn't believe how beautiful Big Ben was. Mama said that was one of her favorite moments of the day: watching Grandpa meet Ben. We took a whole bunch of pictures. Like Mama says: you can never have too many pictures of Big Ben. She's right.
| Grandpa seeing Big Ben for the first time! |
We went in to Westminster Abbey first thing after that. No pictures inside (remember that from when I took Nana?). I enjoyed seeing it again, and, just like with Nana, it was so nice and quiet that I fell asleep. When we were getting ready to leave, they closed the Abbey from more visitors because they were getting ready for a service. We were so glad, because that meant we got to hear the choir and the organist warming up. It was beautiful!
After Westminster Abbey, we went down by the Houses of Parliament to have our lunch. PB&Js, grapes, Pringles, and apples--my favorites! I liked being down there, because we sat on a bench and looked out over the Thames while we ate. There were also some pigeons to chase! Grandpa did get in trouble, because he fed one and more and more came. Mama and Daddy got after him for that--so many pigeons! Daddy had to spend the rest of our meal chasing them away so they wouldn't take my sandwich or my crisps away from me.
After lunch, we went for a walk up Whitehall to the Churchill War Rooms. I had just eaten and woken up from my nap and all I wanted to do was run, run, run! I liked the War rooms, but Mama said I had to be a good boy and stay by her. That was really hard.
Do you know what the War Rooms are? Well, when Great Britain was at war with Nazi Germany from 1939-1945, the Prime Minister, Winston Churchill, had some underground offices built for his Cabinet. They ran the war from there! They had bedrooms, offices, and map rooms. When the war was over, they took their personal belongings, locked the doors, and left. Quite a few years later, they "rediscovered" the rooms and turned it in to a museum. They tried to leave everything as they found it, though. They actually found a man's sugar ration in his desk, still in the envelope with his name on it! They put the sugar on his desk for us to see when we went to the museum. That was really cool.
I liked the museum, but all it was so hard not to just run around everywhere. I was happy when it was time to go, because we went and sat in St. James' Park for a while. I was so excited, because there were a whole bunch of little rocks that I could throw. And then, while I was throwing them at some of the birds, a friend came up to play with me! She helped me through the rocks and we laughed and laughed. I was sad when she had to go.
We took Grandpa and Grandma to Trafalgar Square to get sandwiches from Pret for dinner, and then we went on the London Eye! On the way there, we walked across one of the foot bridges across the Thames and saw some beautiful views of the Eye and of Big Ben.
I LOVED the London Eye. I was running around to all the different windows, playing with two girls who were there, and looking at all the lights in London pop up as the sun set. Mama said she might want to take me again when we are in London at the end of September, when there is more light. I hope we get to go!
After the Eye, it was time to go home. We took a few pictures, then we got on the Tube, to Kings' Cross. While we were there, Grandpa wanted to try to go to Hogwarts. I think he's too old, but we tried anyway. It didn't work. But that was ok, because our train was there to take us back home! It was 11 o'clock before I got in bed. But even though it was late, we had so much fun in London. I can't wait to take Grandpa and Grandma again next week!
--Little Brute--
--Little Brute--


No comments:
Post a Comment